Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Cross Culture Understanding Task (Reading 8)

TASK:
Dear Class,
Welcome back to the class after celebrating your Eid. I hope everything will be fine for the next half of class. We are going to meet physically on the last day of class where you will submit the portfolio with all your assignment and you will sign the final examination sheet. I will tell you the date of our meeting later. 
O.K. for today's class we are going to pay attention on the issues of people and communication. Here you will also read some issues in the Muslim world as well as issues in the international world. 
Read from page 131 - 151. 
Then, try to rank yourself. What is your own reasoning style? How do you prefer to think and reason? give example. 
How can you change your own style to prevent any miss-communication?
Which of the three communication styles (taking turn, interrupting, halting)is closest to your own? also give example from your daily communication. 
Happy reading.
MY ANSWER:

After reading the book and rank myself, here the result:

1.   people and communication issue
- freedom vs identity
I think I'm in 2 of this scale. I think freedom doesn't mean what you want to be is opposite with the rule (eq. religion). It is about how you walk on that rule, forced ao feel free. I know what and why I do that things (wearing hijab, shalat, working outside, and so forth). The sky is the limit of freedom and the rule (religion or culture) can be the way to walk on the sky, it is just how we walk on.

- pace of life
I'm at 3. I think I need more than 24 hour per day. So, how can I keep moving slowly? But I know when I need a refreshing time and I do it regularly.

- courtesy, protocol, formality
I'm little bit strict with these, I'm at 8. But sometimes, there are protocol and formality that I broke, just for fun and feel more exited. Hahaha.

2. Reasoning style
Maybe, I'm the one with 'start with the conclusion. When I found something, I will make a hypothesis of that topic and I will search as much as information about that. Than, I conclude it. But sometimes, my hypothesis is wrong, so I change it because after looking up the information data, I know the right one.

3. cognitive style and communication.
I'm the straigt to the point person. Example: whwn I was at examination test, my friend asked the exam test answer and I say no. then I tell to her/him, if you want to study together before exam test, feel free come to me but in the exam test I wouldn't help you.

4. communication style
- rational or emotional
I'm at 5. I do hide my emotions many times, but when I think the one that make me angry must know that I am angry, I will show it directly and I will tell him/her the reason why I was angry.

- physical space
I'm at 9. I'm a Moslem and I think hospitality and friendliness is not just about the distance, there are a lot things that could show our feeling.

- comfort with silence
I'm a talk active one. I'm at 7.

- flow of conversation
I'm at 3 maybe. My mind will interrupt something fast, but I hold it to word. I wait until the end of another speaking turn because of politeness. Sometimes I forget what I want to interrupt after all finish, so I try to point it by writing. for example: i will wait until my friend end his presentation or answer the question in discussion then i will tell my opinion.
to preventany miss-communication, i will make my sentences and my voice clear, also i will confirm to my speaking partners that is them understood or not. 


note: see...ternyata tak sia-sia...akhirnya disuruh buat fortopolio.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Arigatou.. Visit Again Yaa... ~