Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Cross Culture Understanding Task (reading 6)

TASK:
First please read from page 99 - 105. Start from ways to view the world to Cultural Adjustment Process. I believe that the way Brooks Peterson explaining this book is very easy to read. Tell me what do you get from the reading in general? Where are you now?
MY ANSWER:
After reading the book (p. 99-105), I realize that in increasing my cultural intelligence need time and process. Of course, there are many ways to change it. When we think our way is the best that is natural if we refuse to adjust another way. Brook analogizes it as someone who looks for his car keys. When he found them, he naturally stops looking at the keys. It will be the big thing that we must change.
Brook describes the evolution of our thought process from William Perry, the psychologist.
1. Dualism: we see the world just in black and white term. We know two side of cultural differences. Our ways is the best.
2. Multiplicity: we know more side. We tend to the new one and feel negative for ours.
3. Relativism: this is the step when we appreciate other culture but in this term we just recognize multiple perspectives as others.
4. Committed relativism: here, we take the ways are the best for us. We may exactly understand there are the best for us and another people has their own best ways.
I think I'm in relativism term. I have one more stage and I will do my best to reach it, because I realize it is important to me and my life. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Arigatou.. Visit Again Yaa... ~